We all know the holidays are a joyous but often stressful time of the year, which is why we tend to overindulge in the booze and food world, forgetting about two important factors to recovery - sleep and hydration. Thus, leaving us feeling horrible and struggling to recover properly. Once Thanksgiving hits, the marathon of holiday parties is non-stop, which is why we need to shift the mentality from a sprint to a marathon. Our bodies do a phenomenal job compensating, but only for a limited amount of time, which is why a lot of us end up sick around the holiday season.
Why Does Hydration Matter?
Dehydration can cause serious electrolyte issues such as sodium and potassium imbalances. Unlike food which we can go without for days or weeks, our bodies need water and a balance of electrolytes to run properly (hint: feel good). Adding in an oral hydration supplement daily such as Hydralyte can help to regulate the electrolytes lost every day through the skin, breathing and exercising. In extreme cases don’t forget you will lose water and electrolytes if you’re experiencing diarrhea, vomiting and/or fever. A good rule of thumb is “don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink water”. Along with drinking water, adding in Hydralyte oral electrolyte replacement, eating fruits and vegetables help with water consumption. Don’t forget to eat during the holiday season, having food in your stomach slows down the absorption of alcohol.
Signs of dehydration:
- Rapid heart rate
- Excessive thirst
- Dizziness and lightheaded
- Dark urine equal dehydration
- Decreased urine output
- Other signs and symptoms
Here are 8 tips on “How to avoid a hangover”:
- Carry a water bottle with you when you leave your house - no excuses, water fill stations are popping up everywhere
- Try to consume 1-2 liters of water a day – there are even some fun reusable water bottles that will remind you to drink water
- When exercising make sure not only to consume water but also an oral electrolyte replacement supplement. Remember we lose water and electrolytes through our sweat.
- Start out with clear urine before drinking- clear urine is a sign of hydration
- Avoid caffeine until fully hydrated, as this can further cause dehydration episodes
- Pacing is the key to avoiding a hangover- one glass of water per drink is a good rule of thumb to follow
- Be mindful of sugar and added mixers - dilute with water when possible
- Find yourself continuously snacking when you aren’t hungry? Try drinking water instead